Go to navigation (press enter key)

News

New course description for PHIL 105-02 Philosophical Questions (Sofia Ortiz-Hinojosa)

This course is an introduction to some major themes in the philosophical tradition. To warm up we will start by discussing the existence of God, the problem of evil, and the case for religious belief. We will then move on to problems in the study of knowledge. Is there an external world? How do we we know about what there is outside of ourselves? Are there scientific laws? We will then talk about what kinds of creatures we are: is my 5-year-old self the same as my adult self? At what point do I cease to be the same person? And - are the kinds of creatures we are imbued with free will? We will end by discussing what it means for something to be good for us. The main purpose of the course will be to build up philosophical skills, pass on useful philosophical tools, and enable students to tackle difficult topics in writing and group discussion. Emphasis will be placed on the reading and interpretation of primary texts and their application to contemporary debates in the field of philosophy. Sofia Ortiz-Hinojosa.

Two 75-minute periods.

Check out all the Philosophy Course Descriptions.